Beginner Photography Course
Learn to take better pictures and have even more fun with your camera
- Discover what photography skills you already have
- Learn how to set up a home photo studio with lighting and backdrops
- Delve into basic photo techniques to make your pictures better
- Get helpful personal feedback on your photos from a professional
Beginner photography course overview
Do you love taking photos?
Want to take even better photos of your family and friends?
Ever wondered what techniques photo professionals use to take incredible shots?
Well this 6-week photography course is for you. In this time, you’ll learn how to look for light. Set up photos including backgrounds and poses. And confidently capture the special moments, people, and places in your life.
You’ll get photo ideas for the home. Learn how to photograph still life and take portraits. What studio lighting setup to use and best photography backdrops, especially when setting up a photo studio at home. Not just that, you’ll get creative ideas for photoshoots and even get macro photography tips. You’ll learn everything a beginner photographer needs.
Who this course is for
This course is for you if you:
- Love taking photos for fun
- Are open to kind feedback in a group setting
- Want to learn professional techniques in an easy-to-understand way
- Want to improve your skills with a reputable, professional, working photographer
Who this course is not for
This course is NOT for you if you’re not willing to do the homework to practice your skills.
What do you need
- A digital SLR camera
- A zoom account
- A phone
What you’ll get
You’ll enjoy learning with a small group of fellow photo lovers keen to improve their skills too.
- Course guide before each session to follow along and make notes
- Homework task after each lesson to practice what you’ve learned
- 30 min 1:1 chat at the end of the program
- Guidance and feedback from a working professional photographer
- An easy-to-follow program that gradually builds your skills each week
- Learn how to use your digital SLR camera and your phone camera
- Skills and knowledge to continue onto the Intermediate Photography Course
Learning mode and location
Theory: Online on zoom: Each session runs for 60 - 90-minutes using slides and live guided instruction with Q&As at the end.
Practical: You do in your own time and where you can. At work, home, or outside.
- Ideal times of the day to get great photos
- 4 Main sources of lighting and how to use each best
- Equipment essentials and where to buy them
- What is diffused and hard light? How to work with both
Also: What to consider when it comes to light direction.
- The number one thing to think about before taking a shot
- How to check your background for ‘junk’
- A simple technique to transform an ordinary photo into an amazing photo
- The rule of thirds and why it matters
- Depth of field: what it is and examples
Also: Leading lines, rule of odds, fill the frame and negative space, and colour combinations.
- How to get the most flattering shot: posing rules, light, composition
- Ways to set up scenes that create a connection between people
- The best positions: for body, hair, chins, shoulders, noses, and more
- How to make your subjects feel comfortable while you set up the shot
- Learn which poses suit individuals and which poses suit groups
Also: How to harness the power of triangles for better photos and plane of field.
Introduction to editing
- Basic techniques to edit on your phone and computer
- Easy-to-use photo editing apps to create impact
- Use this simple labelling method to quickly locate photos
- The Kelvin scale: introduction to colour temperature and the ideal range for photos
Also: Examples of how cropping can transform the look of a photo. A simple way to adjust contrast. And ways to use monochrome for greater impact
You’ll get 2 practical sessions to put all you’ve learned into practice. Kristie will give you constructive and kind personal feedback on a selection of your photos. You’ll also hear feedback about other participant photos.
About your photography instructor: Kristie Dutson
Kristie hasn’t always been a photographer- she began her career as a Nurse and Midwife. More than a decade ago, she studied photography and began Inspired Photography soon after.
Kristie’s services include family portraits, weddings, and corporate photography. Her photography approach is to take relaxed and natural shots that capture the personality, connection, and of course - the best angle of her subjects. She wants people to smile when they see their photos on their wall each day. Inspiring people to reconnect and rediscover what people love most about each other inspires her.
Kristie is also inspired by her teenage children Tara and Ryan, who “light up her world”. She’s patient, gentle, and easygoing - add that to her nursing and midwifery experience, and perhaps that’s why she’s known for getting wonderful photos for newborns, babies, kids, families and pets.
She’s thrilled to teach budding photographers what she knows. Kristie brings out the best in people and teaches with passion, kindness, and sensitivity.
We take all major credit cards and can organise payment plans if needed.
This course is run online and near your home, so you can join no matter where you live. We have had participants from all over Victoria, especially the western suburbs of Melbourne, where we are based:
- Bacchus Marsh
- Hoppers Crossing
- Point Cook
- Wyndham Vale
Online beginner photography course
- Enjoy an easy-to-follow, fun photography course
- Just the right amount of theory and practical to hone your skills
- Payment plans available if needed
Whilst I love taking photos myself, I recently completed Kristie's beginner course and it was just fantastic. She was able to point out what I was already doing, and enabled me to really focus on all the lighting, composition etc., that I had absolutely no idea about...
It was fun, and with a bit more practice, I will hopefully have the confidence to do the next level course. Thank you so much for being so positive, encouraging and knowledgeable.
Kristie has a natural flair for teaching and she is very encouraging. I attended one of her online courses to help me to understand light and shading and depth of field for my new business venture as a commercial artist.
As a photographer Kristie has a very diverse skill set, which is not just limited to portrait photography. A valuable asset if you are looking for a teacher. Her prices are very reasonable but still commensurate with her skill level. Something difficult to find in the Photography industry.