Advanced Photography Course
Polish your photography skills
- Refine your personal style
- Build a creative folio with advanced photo techniques
- Get helpful feedback and tips from a mentor in the field
Advanced photography course overview
Serious about improving your photography skills?
Do you want to expand on your basic skills to shoot professional-looking photos?
Do you want to build a collection of impressive photos for a creative folio?
Well, this 6-week advanced photography course is for you. In this time, you’ll learn how to use your camera on manual settings - on your digital SLR. Learn more in-depth techniques to compose stunning scenes. And expertly capture the special moments, people, and places in your life the way professional photographers do.
Not just that, this short photography course could be a great start to discover if you’d like to study photography further or explore it as a career option.
Who this course is for
This course is for you if you:
- Have completed the basic course.
- Would love to hone your skills and dive more into your passion for photography
- Would like to get valuable feedback on your photos from a reputable, professional, working photographer
- Are considering further study or a career in photography
Who this course is not for
This course is NOT for you:
- Haven’t completed the basic courses
- If you’re not willing to do the homework to practice your skills
What do you need
- A digital SLR
- A zoom account
- External flash (optional)
What you’ll get
You’ll enjoy learning with a small group of more advanced photo lovers keen to improve their skills too - and some may be considering a career in photography.
- Course guide before each session to follow along and make notes
- Homework task after each lesson to practice what you’ve learned
- 30 min 1:1 chat at the end of the program
- Guidance and feedback from a working professional photographer
- An easy-to-follow program that gradually builds your skills each week
- Learn how to use your digital SLR
- Skills and knowledge to kickstart a career in photography
Learning mode and location
Theory: Online on zoom: Each session runs for 60 - 90 minutes using slides and live guided instruction with Q&As at the end.
Practical: You do in your own time and where you can. At work, home, or outside.
Exposure and ISO
- Definitions and the difference between exposure and ISO
- What the settings mean
- A guide to finding the right balance depending on light conditions
- The exposure triangle
- What it is and how to harness it to create depth in your photos
- Higher or lower: Which is better?
- What is an ‘f-stop’?
- What settings to use and what else to consider
- Exposure stops and shutter speed
- How to create and stop movement
- Ways to improve image quality with shutter speed
- How to choose the right shutter speed
Camera settings for specific situations
- An easy reference you can use in common situations
- How to use flash on and off your camera
- Learn what effects you can create
- The best equipment to use
You’ll get 2 practical sessions to put all you’ve learned into practice. Kristie will give you constructive and kind personal feedback on a selection of your photos. You’ll also hear feedback about other participant photos.
About your photography instructor: Kristie Dutson
Kristie hasn’t always been a photographer- she began her career as a Nurse and Midwife. More than a decade ago, she studied photography and began Inspired Portrait Photography soon after.
Kristie’s services include family portraits, weddings, and corporate photography. Her photography approach is to take relaxed and natural shots that capture the personality, connection, and of course - the best angle of her subjects. She wants people to smile when they see their photos on their wall each day. Inspiring people to reconnect and rediscover what people love most about each other inspires her.
Kristie is also inspired by her teenage children Tara and Ryan, who “light up her world”. She’s patient, gentle, and easygoing - add that to her nursing and midwifery experience, and perhaps that’s why she’s known for getting wonderful photos for newborns, babies, kids, families and pets.
She’s thrilled to teach budding photographers what she knows. Kristie brings out the best in people and teaches with passion, kindness, and sensitivity.
We take all major credit cards and can organise payment plans if needed.
This course is run online and near your home, so you can join no matter where you live. We have had participants from all over Victoria, especially the western suburbs of Melbourne, where we are based:
- Bacchus Marsh
- Hoppers Crossing
- Point Cook
- Wyndham Vale
Advanced photography course
- Progress your foundational photography skills
- Simply explained theory and fun practical exercises to hone your skills
- Payment plans available if needed
Kristie’s program allowed us to work on the theory behind taking pictures along with homework where she critiqued our lesson from the previous week. My favourite part of the course was the practical session.
I highly recommend Kristie and the program as it is practical, easy to follow and invaluable